The Best Homemade Vegan Pizza
For the average home cook and pizza enthusiast, vegan food may not be the first cuisine to come to mind. Let’s face it; meat and cheese tend to be the star players in a pizza recipe.
Despite any reservations you may have toward veganism, hear us out—sometimes the most genius inventions are the result of a culinary challenge. The best vegan pizza recipe is one of those.
When paired with our pizza ovens, this vegan pizza recipe will be a hit among even your most devoted meat enthusiast friends.
Your Culinary Secret Weapon: The Pizza Oven
Before we dive into the recipe, we need to let you in on a little secret. Whether you’re adding veggies or meat, the oven makes the pizza.
While there are many culinary shortcuts a home cook can use on a budget, we recommend investing in a pizza oven.
The average oven will take at least double the time to heat to the appropriate temperature (250 degrees Celsius). A pizza oven heats more efficiently and provides an incomparable char on the crust. There’s a reason your favorite restaurants use a pizza oven—the taste and texture speak for themselves.
Now that we’ve got the oven covered let’s get to the recipe!
The Best Vegan Crust
The best vegan pizza always includes a crispy, slightly charred crust. You can apply this crust to any vegan pizza toppings recipe and feel confident in its taste and texture.
- – 180mL water
- – 1 tsp instant yeast
- – 300g all-purpose flour
- – ¼ tsp salt
- – 1tsp olive oil
- – Begin by mixing the flour, salt, and instant yeast in a bowl. Once these ingredients have integrated, add the water and olive oil.
- – Knead the dough until it’s soft and no longer sticky. You’ve probably seen famous chefs toss the dough in the air. You’re welcome to try this crowd-pleasing trick, but good old fashion kneading works just as well.
- – Once you achieve that soft texture, drizzle a modest amount of olive oil over your dough. Add the dough to a bowl and cover it with a kitchen towel. Allow the dough to rise. This process will take between two and three hours.
- – Once the dough rises and doubles in size, you are ready to add your toppings.
The Best Vegan Toppings: BBQ No-Chicken Pizza
Now for the challenge: toppings that will satisfy both meat and veggie lovers. We realize that pizza generally draws a crowd, so we decided to devise a recipe that can feature veggies or “meat.”
- – 1 onion (sliced)
- – 200g tomato puree
- – 250g vegan cheese of your choice
- – ½ head of cauliflower
- – 2 tbsp BBQ sauce
For Meat Lovers: Meatless Option
- – 200g soy/Quorn piece
For Veggie Enthusiasts:
- – Any vegetable will work (we think corn pairs nicely with BBQ sauce)
- – Get your pizza oven ready! Or pre-heat your kitchen oven to 250 degrees Celsius.
- – Cook the cauliflower and your chosen veggie until a fork can pierce through them easily
- – Fry onion slices in a pan until lightly brown. If you opted to add “meat,” cut the soy chicken into bite-sized pieces and fry them in a pan.
- – Roll out your dough into two separate pies and spread your tomato puree on top evenly, leaving room for crust. Sprinkle on the vegan cheese generously for that delicious, melted texture.
- – On your “meat pizza,” sprinkle your soy chicken, cauliflower, and onions on top. On your veggie pizza, replace the “meat” with the vegetable of your choice. Give your toppings a generous pour of BBQ sauce.
- – Put your pizzas in the oven for approximately 5-10 minutes. If you are using a regular oven, you may need additional time (10-15 minutes).
- – Enjoy your culinary masterpiece with your party guests!
This simple and delicious vegan pizza recipe will satisfy your guests, whether or not they embrace a plant-based diet. Feel free to adjust the recipe to suit your dietary needs or preferences. We recommend making the pizza with a friend or partner as an engaging, bonding activity.